Tenant Responsible for Health Code Compliance
Facts: An employee of an office building tenant suffered injuries after she tripped and fell on a raised edge of the metal molding surrounding a trapdoor on the floor of the tenant's pantry room. The purpose of the trapdoor was to access a crawl space approximately three feet high that lies beneath the pantry room floor. The employee sued the owner for negligence and New York Health Code violations. She asked the court for a judgment in her favor without a trial.